Applications for 2017 Dr Sylvia Meek Scholarship for Entomology at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) begins.
ABOUT DR SYLVIA MEEK SCHOLARSHIP FOR ENTOMOLOGY
The scholarship, established in Sylvia’s honour by Malaria Consortium, will empower a new generation of public health entomologists and malaria staff in Africa and Asia. Given the limited number of field-oriented vector biologists and the challenges African countries face in achieving malaria elimination, this scholarship is a great opportunity to support the next generation of public health entomologists in support of this quest.
The University of Nigeria will be accepting two scholarship students in 2017 for a two-year Master’s programme in Entomology at the Department of Zoology and Environmental Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, starting mid-October.
WHAT IS COVERED BY SCHOLARSHIP?
The Dr Sylvia Meek Scholarship for Entomology will cover all tuition fees, a research study allowance, upkeep costs such as accommodation and board, an allowance to travel to Nigeria(if non-national) and return home after the course, health insurance and stationery costs for the duration of the MSc. degree, i.e. a maximum of two years, by which time the students should finish their degree.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP (WHO CAN APPLY)
- Nationals from the following countries can apply: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon,the Central African Republic, Chad, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar,Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, the Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Applicants need to have successfully completed a Bachelors degree
- Applicants should have good knowledge of English (the language of instruction)
- Applicants should demonstrate an interest in, and commitment to, entomology and the control of vector borne diseases.
- Mid-career applications will be considered along with fresh graduates.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE DR SYLVIA MEEK SCHOLARSHIP FOR ENTOMOLOGY FOR 2017/2018
Applicants should apply for their studies at University of Nigeria by submitting the following documents to the Dean of the postgraduate school, Professor P. Osadebe ([email protected]) and to the Deputy Vice Chancellor, James Ogbonna([email protected]):
- An application letter, stating the area of entomology you intend to specialise in
- Bachelors degree certificate
- Bachelors degree academic transcript(grade report where the completed courses are listed)
- For those applicants from countries where English is not the official language: English proficiency test result or any other proof of proficiency in English
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE
Please submit these documents no later than Sunday 27th August 2017.
SELECTION PROCEDURE FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP
The University of Nigeria will screen, pre-select and shortlist applicants. The shortlist will be submitted to a scholarship selection panel comprising of University of Nigeria and Malaria Consortium vector control experts.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to send to the scholarship selection panel the following:
- Personal statement was written in English of no more than 500 words indicating why you would like to study entomology
- Two recommendations (can be professional or academic references)
Shortlisted applicants will be informed of the outcome of the selection process by Friday, 15th September 2017. Selected students will start the academic year mid-October.